Thursday, April 9, 2015

Beauty on a Budget series: #2 Wet n Wild Lipsticks

My husband and I recently celebrated our second anniversary. We went up into the great Smokey Mountains and stayed at a delightful little bed and breakfast. Whilst on our travels, we stopped into Walmart for a few necessities. Naturally, I wandered over to the makeup aisle and perused a bit, looking to treat myself. I purchased two lipsticks, as I've been wanting to expand my collection for a while and I've never tried Wet n Wild lip products before. I've heard a lot of good things about it, from youtube videos and beauty blogs. I also got a Starbucks iced coffee, of course! So, on to my review! :)
Walmart goodies 3/25/15
The first lipstick is the Wet n Wild MegaLast Lip Color in 917b Cinnamon Spice. This is what it looks like:
This lipstick's packaging is okay, nothing special. You get what you pay for, nothing more, nothing less. The color is a nice dark red with a raisin-y/brown undertone. 
this is how the color shows up on me.

It's matte, and honestly, the lasting power is pretty incredible. We're talking ALL DAY last. I am thoroughly impressed with the application and staying power. It was a bit difficult to perfect the application without a lip liner (I was in a moving car and without any other makeup products). And unlike some other (cheaper) brands, I really didn't feel like my lips were getting too scaly and dry. I don't know if anyone else has had that problem, but I've experienced that blah dry feeling before. It's still a relatively new product, so I am excited to keep using it.


So, to wrap up.


Pros:
  • SUPER affordable, at an average availability of $2.00 (you can purchase it through the link above).
  • doesn't have a bad smell, doesn't have a smell at all.
  • lasts forever, without drying out your lips.
  • easy application, will be even easier with a liner.
  • beautifully pigmented matte color. (Looks amazing with a light gloss over it!)

Cons:
  • packaging is less than stellar.

to summarize, I rate this product at a cool 4/5. (It would be higher if I liked the color more; I'm just not 100% sold on the way it looks against my skin...I don't know. We'll see.) All in all, this is a really solid lipstick.



Next lipstick is the Wet n Wild Silk Finish in 514A Cherry Frost which is a bright, beautiful red shimmer that has a pink-ish tint to it. "Cherry Frost" is the perfect name for this somewhat ambitious color. Here's what it looks like:

This one is very similar to the one above, but honestly I can't choose a favorite. Especially when it comes to application and lasting power. The MegaLast may actually last a bit longer, but this one still holds it own very well. As far as a favorite color, I don't know, I *might* be leaning towards this one; because I really like having the shimmer without needing to apply gloss. Honestly this is just a great glamorous color, red carpet style! 

Pros:
  • a really CUTE, bright and shiny color. perfect for summer.
  • again, cheap!! Around the same price as the other one. (purchase link above)
  • lasting power is good.
  • this one actually has a nice subtle smell.
  • easy application

Cons:
  • cheap packaging. Honestly I think this one is even more rickety and just plain cheap plastic.
overall score: 4.5/5 (slightly higher because I favor the color a bit more)

I've really been impressed with these lip colors and I'm excited to keep using them! 

*I am not receiving any compensation for this review from Wet n Wild or any of their affiliates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment